UW Information Technology
Help Desk Student Assistant
The Help Desk Student Assistant will assist clients at the Odegaard Library Technology Help Desk and Computer Vet and other Odegaard learning spaces and will perform routine maintenance in the Odegaard Learning Commons.
This is an entry-level position. If you have amazing customer service, professionalism, resourcefulness, and are dependable and hardworking, we will help you grow your technical skills.
Hours are 12 to 19 per week. Early morning, evening and/or weekend availability required. Start date is September 1, 2015.
Visit our page on IT Connect for additional information about the Technology Help Desk and Computer Vet.
Typical duties and responsibilities:
- Learn to use hardware in Odegaard Learning Commons and other supported spaces
- Be familiar with software available in Odegaard Learning Commons
- Provide support to clients at the Technology Help Desk and Computer Vet in Odegaard Library in person, by phone, and via email
- Research and document solutions to technical issues
- Assist clients with virus removal and common software problems on their computers
- Instruct clients on usage of software and hardware in the Learning Commons and other supported spaces, including video studio, sound studio, active learning classrooms
- Provide basic troubleshooting for printing services in Odegaard Library
- Properly escalate issues, including those supported by other teams
Maintain accurate records of client contact
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of Learning Commons and other learning spaces
- Be prepared to respond to a variety of situations in Odegaard library, including emergencies
- Become familiar with all services supported by Learning Technologies department and Odegaard Libraries
Criteria for selection:
- Current UW student
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Experience assisting others with hardware and software issues
- Professional demeanor
- Excellent team player
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Desire to learn and grow professionally
- Work experience in a customer service role
- Experience problem solving on both Mac and PC
- Experience writing technical documentation
Starting pay: $11.00 per hour
How to apply:
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter to our dropbox.