UW Information Technology
NOC Student Assistant
UW-IT is looking for three UW students to work in the Network Operations Center (NOC). The NOC operates the University of Washington, University of Washington Medical Centers, Washington State K20, and Pacific Northwest Gigapop networks.
This is a customer service position that support to operation of the networks managed by the UW. This position works on a team that responds to network outages and issues, documents the troubleshooting, and manages the incidents to resolution. Professionalism and maturity is required.
This position offers the opportunity to work with a large-scale network (hundreds of routers, thousands of switches, hundreds of thousands of users).
- ISP-scale networking (The UW manages the state K-20 network and is the ISP to almost every school district, college, and University in the state).
- International research networking (The UW manages the Pacific Northwest Gigapop, PWAVE, and NorthernWave networks with connections that span the Pacific and the western US.).
Typical Duties & Responsibilities
The primary tasks are to answer the NOC telephone, to monitor our real-time network management tools, to manage incoming tickets in our tracking system. During the times you are not answering the phone or resolving networking problems you will work on operations support projects including database management, advanced technical support, and document production
Criteria for Selection
Successful candidates must be able to communicate effectively with non-technical customers by phone and email and will have an interest in computer networking.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Professionalism and organization
- Knowledge of Linux
- Familiarity with networking software on PCs and Macintosh
- Familiarity with Networking, SSH, and File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Must be willing to work flexible hours (8-19.5 hours / week during quarters), including 3 Sundays per quarter
- Must be able to commit to 3 quarters of work before graduation
- Should be able to work during quarter breaks and summer quarter
- A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification will be required prior to hire
- Pay starts at $11/hour and increases with experience
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume at our dropbox.