UW Information Technology
Office of the Vice President (OVP) Student Assistant
Are you a detail-oriented student looking for an opportunity to be exposed to work in a multi-faceted business office? Are you looking to work 15 hours per week for the next year? If so, UW Information Technology wants to talk with you.
UW-IT is the central IT organization for the University of Washington, providing critical technology support to all three campuses, UW medical centers, and global research operations.
UW-IT has over 700 employees (both permanent, temporary and students) and requires a strong business office to ensure the entire organization runs efficiently and effectively. Our business office is known as our Office of the Vice President (OVP) and includes the following units:
- Business & Finance
- Human Resources
- Organizational Development
- Compliance Assurance & Major Procurements
We seek a UW undergraduate student to assist in the varied and fast-paced environments of the units that support the OVP. This position offers the opportunity to work with our teams on tasks ranging from enterprise system customer support, accounting, finance, event coordination, website maintenance, workflow data mapping and much, much more.
More information about the specific duties we need help with:
Supporting all OVP units:
- Paper and Data Management
- File and retrieve documents
- Maintain electronic and paper files
- Enter data in various applications
- Copy materials
Supporting the Business & Finance unit:
- Accounts Payable (A/P) Functions
- Process invoice payments
- Serve as A/P contact for external vendors such as troubleshooting account issues/discrepancies, explain any late/missing payments and requests credits from the vendors
- Work with procurement team to identify recipient of goods and services to verify the accuracy of vendor invoices
- Run daily reports for denied/incomplete invoices and invoices in discrepancies
- Accounts Receivable (A/R) Functions
- Generate customer account statements
- E-mail/mail invoices to customers
- Respond to customer inquiries regarding invoices and escalate A/R issues to the accounting manager
- Customer Service
- Answer incoming calls on the Business & Finance main line
- Perform triage in UW Connect, a UW-IT Web-based request monitoring and tracking system
Financial Management Systems (mainly Microsoft Dynamics AX)
- General duties: Perform system support activities, including: basic troubleshooting, granting system permissions, onboarding, escalating technical issues, etc.
- Specific duties:
- Perform reconciliation between UW-IT shadow accounting system, Microsoft Dynamics AX, and UW Financial Accounting System called FAS
- Perform the import of new employees data into Microsoft Dynamics AX via Human Resources and System Administration modules as well as termination of leaving employees
- Assist in creating, testing and editing existing and new process documentation for accounting functional activities.
Supporting the Organizational Development unit:
- Event Coordination and Support: manage recognition event details, such as recommending celebration options, staff calendaring, ordering food and beverages, completing required paperwork, maintaining budget
- Inventory Tracking: manage recognition item inventory, including tracking data, restocking items, and researching and suggesting new products
- Gift Delivery: wrap and deliver gifts to staff who work in buildings across campus
- Notes Transcription: type flip chart or whiteboard notes and send follow-up meeting documentation
- Staff Directory Updates: enter and update staff profiles in the UW-IT staff directory
- Social Media Management: write and distribute posts on multiple social media channels
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate student for at least 6 credits and be willing to work 15 hours per week for a minimum of one year.
- Employment is contingent on the outcome of a criminal background verification prior to hire.
- Six months or more experience in an office setting
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel)
- Experience using Google applications (Google Drive, Docs, Sheets)
- Ability to quickly learn technological skills and systems, including but not limited to Confluence Wiki editing, WordPress editing, online record/ticketing systems
- High degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to multitask
- Aptitude for detail-oriented work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and in teams
- BA/BS student with a concentration in accounting, business administration or other related fields
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access Database
How to apply:
To apply for the OVP Student Assistant position, please submit your resume and cover letter explaining your interests and how your background qualifies you for the position to Katie Woods (firstname.lastname@example.org).