Continuation of Program

While the University has general regulations governing scholastic eligibility for continuation, departments in the College of Engineering have adopted additional requirements in order to make the best use of the limited facilities and resources available and to provide reasonable assurance of academic success. The following criteria and procedures will be applied to all undergraduate students for determining continuance in the major program.

Basic Criteria for Continuation

  1. Full-time students must complete 12 or more credits per quarter that are applicable to the BSChE degree. An average of 15 hours per quarter is required to complete the minimum graduation requirements in the conventional 12 quarters. Once enrolled in CHEM E 310 students are required to move through the core coursework as a cohort (see the Plan of Study on the dept website); any deviation from the stated plan requires a petition. Students who fail to maintain registration in core coursework are dropped from the department.
  2. Part-time attendance is possible subject to approval by the chair of the department. Application for part-time status should be made prior to the first day of the quarter. Students who have received permission to attend part time must complete at least one course each quarter applicable to their degree.
  3. Students admitted through Direct Freshman Admission or Early Admission are expected to follow the Plan of Study (see dept website) and be prepared to take CHEM E 310 spring quarter of the sophomore year. Prior to autumn quarter of the junior year students are expected to have the following courses complete: CHEM 142, CHEM 152, CHEM 162 (or CHEM 145, 155, 165), CHEM 237 (or 223, 335), CHEM 238 (or 224, 335), MATH 124, 125, 126, 307, 308, (or MATH 134, 135, 136), PHYS 121, PHYS 122, PHYS 123, AMATH 301 (or CSE 142), and English composition. Students who fail to do so are dropped from the department.
  4. Students seeking to pursue two or more degrees must submit an academic plan for approval by the department. Once approved, the academic plan will define the number of credits and courses applicable towards the degrees that must be completed each quarter to maintain satisfactory progress. Students may not add a second major after completion of the junior core.
  5. A student who has withdrawn from the UW or from a required chemical engineering course or who is dropped for non-payment of fees must obtain approval of the department admissions committee before registering or maintaining preregistration for subsequent chemical engineering courses.
  6. Students must obtain a minimum 2.0 grade in CHEM E 310 to remain in the department. Students who fail to do so are dropped from the department.
  7. Students must maintain a quarterly 2.00 GPA. Any students whose quarterly GPA falls below 2.00 is placed on departmental probation.
  8. All students must maintain both an overall and a chemical engineering 2.00 GPA. (For chemical engineering courses which are repeated, the chemical engineering GPA is based only on the first time a course is taken.)
  9. The minimum passing grade for any course is 0.7. A student may repeat a chemical engineering course only if less than that minimum grade (i.e., a failure) is received in a departmental course.
  10. Students admitted to the nanoscience and molecular engineering option (NME) must adhere to all the above criteria. Since NME coursework is offered in specified quarters only, student must enroll in these courses to be considered making satisfactory progress. Students not making satisfactory progress toward the NME option are dropped from that option.

Review and Notification of Progress

The progress of each student is reviewed each quarter. If a student's performance fails to meet the standards outlined above, the student is placed on probation the following quarter. The student receives notification in writing of the reason for probation. If the student does not remove his or her deficiencies in the following quarter, the student is notified in writing that he or she has been dropped from the Department.

Appealing for Admission or Continuation in Chemical Engineering

Students may appeal for admission to or continuation in the Department of Chemical Engineering by writing a letter to the Department chairman. The letter should describe any extenuating circumstances and may include any additional information in support of the appeal that the student believes is relevant. Issues that will be considered (and that the student may wish to address) include, but are not limited to:

  1. Cumulative GPA
  2. GPA in required courses or courses in chemical engineering
  3. Number of course repeats, incomplete grades, and withdrawals
  4. Difficulty of previous course loads (type of courses and number of credits)
  5. Personal statements
    • Adequacy of college preparation
    • Reasons for choosing chemical enginneering
    • Applicable employment experience
    • Maturity
    • Record of honors, activities, and service
    • Other (includes health, financial, and family problems)
  6. Grading practices of transfer institutions
  7. Letters of recommendation
  8. Appropriate test scores (SAT, etc.)

The letter and supporting material will be transmitted to the Admissions Committee of the Department. The appeal must be made within 30 days of notification of admission denial, placement on probation, or dismissal. A response to the appeal must be made by the Committee within 30 days, but typically the response is made within one week.

Applicants appealing for upper-division admission should plan to complete their appeal process prior to the start of spring quarter, as CHEM E 310 is only offered in the spring.

Any student denied admission or continuation may request a personal interview to discuss or amplify any matter in his/her application or in the admission or continuation policy statement. No student shall be denied this right.

The University of Washington reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran in accordance with University of Washington policy and applicable federal and state statutes and regulations.


Academic Advising

phone: (206) 543-2250
fax: (206) 543-3778