Drops, Withdrawals, Forfeitures & Refunds

Schedule Changes

Schedule changes become effective the date they are received and processed in the Registration Office, or in an academic department.

Class drops

  • by the 7th calendar day of the quarter - full credit received for any reduction in tuition due to the drop
  • between the 8th & 30th* calendar days - refund of one-half of the tuition reduction associated with the drop, in addition to the $20 Late Change of Registration Fee
  • after the 30th* calendar day - no reduction in tuition and also charged a $20 Late Change of Registration Fee

*21st calendar day during summer quarter


Students who withdraw may be entitled to a refund of all or a portion of the tuition and fees for a given quarter depending on the time of the quarter the withdrawal is completed.

  • by the 7th calendar day of the quarter - pay no tuition
  • between the 8th & 30th calendar day* of the quarter are required to pay half tuition
  • after the 30th calendar day* of the quarter are required to pay full tuition

*21st calendar day in Summer Quarter


When you make changes to your schedule from the 8th through the 30th calendar day of the quarter that result in you dropping from one tuition rate to another, or withdrawing completely from your classes you are charged a tuition forfeiture fee.

You are charged one-half of the tuition reduction (50% forfeiture) for classes dropped from the 8th through the 30th calendar day of the quarter during Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters or from the 8th to the 21st calendar day of Summer quarter. If you drop from one tuition rate to another such as dropping below full-time or dropping from over 18 credits to below the 18 credit surcharge threshold, you will be charged the tuition rate for the number of credits that you are now taking, plus one-half of the difference between full-time tuition and your new rate.

The following chart lists tuition and fees and what is charged according to the date of the drop in credits, or complete withdrawal.

Summer 2013

Date of Change Calendar Day of Quarter Tuition Forfeiture Change of Registration Fee
Full & A term: June 24 - 30

B term: July 25 - 31
1st - 7th 0% $0
Full & A term: July 1 - 14

B term: August 1 - 14
8th - 21st 50% $20
Full & A term: July 15 or later

B term: August 15 or later
22nd day or later 100% $20

Forfeiture fees may be waived for specific reasons. If your circumstance falls within the stated guidelines, and you fill out a petition and provide the required documentation, you may have the forfeiture fees waived. Seattle students may fill out the tuition forfeiture petition here. If you are a student at Bothell, Tacoma or through PCE, please visit the sites below:

  • Bothell Campus
  • Tacoma Campus
  • PCE (Professional and Continuing Education)


As you, the student, are responsible for the payment of tuition and fees, refunds of these payments will either be returned to you as a check by mail, or if you have set up direct deposit, sent directly to your bank account. The UW is not able to track the origin of each payment. Exceptions to this are scholarship payments which are returned to the sponsor.

UW Professional & Continuing Education Certificate Program Students

If you are enrolled in a certificate program through UW Professional & Continuing Education, please refer to the refund polices listed on this website:
The refund deadlines displayed on MyUW do not apply to certificate programs.

Withdrawals or Refunds for Aid Recipients

If you are a financial aid recipient and withdraw from all of your classes, your refund of University charges will be returned to the financial aid programs. The proportion of aid returned will be based on the number of days remaining in the quarter. No funds will be returned after 60% of the quarter has elapsed.

You must be registered for a full-time credit load (12 credits for undergraduates and professional students; 10 credits for graduate students) in order for aid, except Stafford Loans, to be disbursed. If you have been awarded aid as a less than full-time student see the Financial Aid Office for minimum credit load information.

After the start of classes if you drop below full-time enrollment aid already disbursed to pay charges on your account will not be canceled; however, no additional aid will be disbursed to you. If you drop below full-time before the start of classes and aid has been disbursed to you, you will owe a repayment of aid.

International Students Who Withdraw from ELPR Classes

If you are an international student who is taking an Academic English Program (or an English language proficiency requirement - ELPR) course (ENGL 101 and 104), and you withdraw from the University, you may request a refund for that class.

You must make the refund request by contacting English Language Programs. This must be done at the same time that you are withdrawing from the University.

© 2013 Finance & Facilities, University of Washington     PRIVACY • TERMS