This page is a draft document. The information is still under development.
On this page
- Who Can Use Lync Online
- Your Account Name and Password in Lync Online
- Accessing Lync
- Additional Help
Lync Online is a Microsoft service that provides presence, instant messaging, and conferencing with connections not limited to UW users. For full Lync functionality, you must download and install the appropriate Lync client for your computer or mobile device. The Lync Web Scheduler allows you to create and update meetings in the cloud without a local Lync client.
Who Can Use Lync Online
Lync Online is currently available to registered early adopters for testing. We are not currently accepting new testers.
When the service is released for general availability, it will be activated automatically for all current UW students, faculty, and staff. You will receive a confirmation email that your account has been activated.
Your Account Name and Password in Lync Online
Your Lync Online account name is the same as your UW email address:
your-UWNetID@uw.edu (where your-UWNetID is replaced with your own personal UW NetID)
Your password is the one associated with your UW NetID. There is no separate password for Lync Online.
You can access all features Lync Online by using a client application, or you can use the Lync Web Scheduler with a web browser to create and update meetings.
Office 2011 (Mac version)
You can obtain Lync through an update to Office 2011 (Mac version), which is available through our software licensing agreement with Microsoft
Lync is bundled with Office 2013, which is available through our software licensing agreement with Microsoft.
For Office 2010, install the Lync 2013 component from Office 2013. A custom installer is available for this installation.
Lync 2013 over Office 2010 works only on systems owned by the University of Washington with a UW-licensed version of Office 2010.
Note: If you had previously installed some other version of the Lync 2013 client (such as the retail version), uninstall it and restart your computer before using the custom installer.
To install Lync 2013 over Office 2010 using the custom installer
- Navigate to the IT Connect page Desktop Software for UW-Owned Computers.
- Click Office 2010 and 2013 Professional Plus, then click I understand and agree (to the license terms).
- In the list of software, under Office 2013 Professional Plus, click Download Lync 2013 (only) 32-bit self-extracting installer now.
- Click Save File to download the self-extracting installer (Lync2013-install.exe).
- When the download is complete, double-click the installer to begin the installation.
- After the Lync installation is complete, run Windows Update and check for new updates. There will be Office components, newly added, which require updates. Apply the updates and restart your computer before using Lync.
To run Lync 2013
- From the Start menu, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office 2013, and then click Lync 2013.
Lync Online supports a variety of mobile devices through an installed app:
- Windows Phone
Web Browser (Lync Web Scheduler)
The Lync Web Scheduler has fewer features than the Lync clients, but it allows you to create meetings, change meetings, and send invitations without using a Lync client. Microsoft has provided a list of supported browsers here.
Microsoft provides a variety of excellent support pages for Lync Online:
- Video: What is Lync Online?
- Lync help topics catalog - A comprehensive catalog of Lync Help Topics including, but not limited to:
- Add a contact in Lync
- Change your presence status in Lync
- Send an instant message
- Make or receive a video call
- Set up a Lync Meeting
UW-IT can help with access issues and general questions. For assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.