Email Systems With Calendaring
The UW offers three central email systems to choose from. UW Google Apps and UW Exchange both include group calendaring capabilities. Some departments operate additional systems.
An Email/Calendar Option for Everyone
A custom UW version of Google Apps is available to the UW community which includes ad-free email, use of your @uw.edu address, calendaring, and many more collaboration tools.
Note: Departments handling personal or other sensitive information may not allow use of this options for privacy and security reasons. Check with your department.
More About Google Apps Sign up now Go to Google Email Support
Note: UW Windows Live support is being phased out.
An Additional Email/Calendar Option for Faculty and Staff
More about UW Exchange Go to Outlook Web App
An Email Option Without Calendaring for Faculty and Staff
More about UW (Deskmail) Email Go to Web Alpine
Useful Email Tools
- You can Change Your UW Email Forwarding anytime.
- Use the Mailman service to manage your email distribution lists, including class lists.
- Get Sophos anti-virus software to protect your Windows and Apple computer.
- The Securing Your Computer page explains how to protect yourself from viruses, spyware, phishing, and other malware attacks.
- The UW Electronic Directory Service is an online directory that many email programs can use.
- The Bulk Email at the UW page explains UW policy on sending out large batches of email.
Email Guidelines and Rules
- The UW email systems are provided to support UW activities and are subject to state laws and UW policy.
- Do not send sensitive information by email. This includes personnel data, patient records, student information, and financial information. For more information, see the Minimum Data Security Standards.
- Email messages can be kept and forwarded. Never assume email is private, even when using encryption technologies. The message you send to one person can easily spread to many more.
- Employee use of UW Email
- UW Email is made available to UW faculty and staff solely for the purpose of facilitating effective business operations.
- Email as public record
- Email messages are public records when they are created or received in the transaction of public business. As such, they must be retained as evidence in accordance with UW records retention practices:
- UW Records Management - Information records management, retention, storage, and destruction
- RCW 40.14 - Washington State law relating to preservation and destruction of public records
- Email management and retention
- Employees are responsible for handling and maintaining records, including email and electronic records, in accordance to University policy and requirements. UW Records Management has published Email Best Practices information.
- Protect yourself
- Some simple steps can help protect you from email problems
UW Event Calendar
The UW Event Calendar is a service providing a calendar for all UW campus public events. In addition, it can be used to set up departmental calendars, including academic, schools, colleges, and other groups. It provides a better mobile experience, an improved user interface, event registration, and the ability to embed calendars into websites. Also, an event created in one calendar can appear in multiple calendars. Anyone with a UW NetID can request a calendar, which can then be used to share events with the campus calendar. Learn how to use the calendar system: UW Event Calendar Help.