Using Outlook 2010
- SPAM! See Blocking Spam.
- Use the in-program Help feature (the question mark in the upper right corner). Many answers to your questions are available in this resource.
- Always use Scheduling Assistant to invite people and resources to a meeting.
- Out of Office Message? Always use Outlook Web Access (OWA). Click Options, then Set Automatic Replies.
- View others’ calendars in OWA: Open the calendar, Click Share in the menu bar.
Using Cached Mode
Cached Mode stores a copy of your mailbox on your local computer for quick access to your data. Any changes you make are synchronized automatically with the server whenever a connection is available.
Do not use cached mode if:
- you are engaged in a "delegate" relationship in any way
- you have been granted "shared" access to other calendars (Note: granting shared access is almost never necessary; use the Scheduling Assistant instead.)
This is because cached mode does not provide "real time" updates to your views of other account data.
Enabling Cached Mode
- Open Account Settings:
- Outlook 2007: Click on Tools - Account Settings
- Outlook 2010: Click on File - Info - Account Settings - Account Settings.
- Make sure the Microsoft Exchange account is selected and click Change.
- Check the box marked Use Cached Exchange Mode
Any problem with Outlook: Try these steps first:
- Close and Restart Outlook
- Open a web browser and log in to Outlook Web Access (OWA) https://exchange.washington.edu/owa Does the problem occur there?
- Problem with Log In – make sure you use netid\your-netid to login to Outlook.
Outlook is slow or unavailable
- Check your network connectivity
- Use cached mode
- Use Outlook Web Access
- Undeliverable messages – usually caused by a corrupted cached address
- Open an new email message
- Begin to type in the name of the person whose message was undeliverable
- When the name appears in the drop-down box, highlight the name and press the Delete key.
- On your next email to that person, begin to type in the name or UW NetID, and click the Check Names icon to get the correct address.
- Recipients can’t read my email – likely because your default email format is HTML
- Change your email format to Plain Text or Rich Text
- Go to the File Tab, Choose Options, then Mail, and change the default format
- Your mailbox is getting full and you can’t send email.
- The UW-IT Exchange mailbox limit is set to 2GB, which includes all mail, tasks, contacts, and calendar items.
- Clear deleted items. Prune Sent Mail.
- Create an Outlook Data File (.PST) to “archive” old mail that can be deleted from the active mail.
- Ask Nebula for help.
- See also:
- Managing Your Email
- Email Best Practices: what emails must be retained and for how long
Microsoft has many helpful online tools, starting with the Help feature within Outlook: hit F1, or click on Help - Microsoft Office Help. For more, check out these links:
- Self-paced training courses are available for many Outlook topics
- Outlook 2010 command reference guide
- Online command reference guides teach you where Outlook 2003 commands exist in the Outlook 2007 interface
- Take Control of Your Inbox helps you process and organize your e-mail.